Thursday, August 12, 2010

All in a Day's Work

8:10am - Guy unicycles by me as I walk to work.
8:12am - Random is juggling on campus.
8:13am - I wonder if there is a circus I'm unaware of, or if this place is actually pretty weird.
8:25am - Solve office hangman puzzle for the fifth time in a row and maintain reputation as the champ (he lives!)

8:32am - Informed by a gentleman working in facilities that there was a report of a bat flying around the office. Went something like this:
Batman: Have you ladies seen a bat?
Me: uhhh...
Batman: Yeah, the guy who sits in this cube phoned in to tell us about it yesterday and that sucker could be anywhere.
Me: Oh, that's pretty odd. (I'm giving him the look that says, "I think you're kinda odd too and I'm gonna make a sneaky escape from what is sure to be an Bill Nye lecture attempt of some sort")
Batman: So...Bats...they are strange little creatures. This one's probably just little. I suppose all the construction in the building next door brought this one in. Probably disturbed his little house or something. It's sad really, because they need food every three hours, lots of mosquitoes, so he'll probably be dead around here.

Batman begins inspecting below the desks, still talking about the fascinating dietary restrictions of bats, while I slowly back away and head in the opposite direction. All the while I'm thinking that Batman should really meet my neighbour who also has a similar appreciation for wildlife.

8:35am - Tell coworker about bat situation.
8:42am - Batman returns because he's remembered to tell me not to tell other people about the bat.
8:42am - Lie about keeping bat a secret.

8:55am - Darth Vader mug takes a chip to the face. I sigh dramatically and explain to onlookers, "He was like a father to me..."
9am - Sit in a meeting (nod, smile, look competent and fake awareness of what's being discussed)
9:15am - Contemplate methods to destroy a bat during a potential attack.

10:20am - Informed that bat has been sighted flapping around by my cube. (unsightly squirm-dance commences).

11: 45am -"Hey Jpep, I think I"ll call you Peps from now on...or Pepper Pots. Or Jpop. Like you're one of the Rice Krispies elves or something."
me: Nope. Those don't get to happen.

1:20pm - Someone announces: "Mini blizzards are $2.99 at Dairy Queen!" Everyone then inevitably wonders why we are eating cookies when we could be having mini blizzards.

And there you have it. An account of a fraction of the strange/entertaining things that happened today. I suppose that's what I get for insisting nothing was "what the what worthy" for about a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment